Summer School 2017
Monday 31st July to Thursday 3rd August 2017
Goldsmiths College, University of London
New Cross, London SE14 6NW
Sign up here!
Our fantastic Summer School returns for the fourth year running. Building on the immense success of our three previous Summer Schools, 2017 promises to be even bigger and better than ever.
To give you a taste of the music you will play and hear at the summer school, here are two clips from previous summer schools...
Open to young musicians aged 12-21, this is a unique opportunity to learn about world music and improvisation first hand from internationally-renowned musicians born and brought up in all major musical traditions worldwide.
Grand Union Orchestra musicians are not only acclaimed artists in their own right, they are also highly experienced teachers and workshop leaders. Under the general direction of Shanti Jayasinha and Grand Union’s founder composer/director Tony Haynes, the course will be led by these musicians, who have worked together as Grand Union’s core performers for many years.
Musician-tutors, the exact content of the course, the full programme and the schedule are still being finalised, but the course will follow broadly the same pattern as in previous years (the 2016 course is described here).
What’s in it for me?
- Work alongside leading professional musicians
- Learn about world music, first hand, from experts
- Discover new instruments and develop improvisation skills
- Meet and create with like-minded young musicians and make new friends
- Take part in a public concert featuring music created in the workshops
Who’s it for?
Young musicians of secondary school age and up (12-21) interested in learning about music from other parts of the world, and/or who play a non-European instrument. The cost will be £180 (£150 if booked by 26th May). Bursaries are available.
How do I apply?
- Click here to apply online, or complete our printable application form.
- Use this Word Doc application form if you do not have a printer or scanner. (Where it asks for a signature, please sign electronically.) Return to Summer School team.
- Bursaries are available for this course. Please fill in this form if you think you are eligible, or contact us with any questions: Bursary application form - word doc.
- For more information contact 020 8981 1551 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Click here for details on our last Summer School (2016).