The Grand Union Orchestra has been the acknowledged pioneer and leading exponent of cross-cultural music making in the UK for over 30 years, and continues to blaze a trail unrivalled by any other organisation.
We achieve this by:
- Drawing together musicians and singers whose backgrounds embrace the enormous range of cultures flourishing in Britain today.
- Creating, performing and touring new musical-dramatic work which draws on and expresses the experience of our performers.
- Running a range of cross-cultural participatory and education projects which reflect and complement our artistic practice and ethos.
- Collaborating with a range of other organisations to explore ways of working across social, economic and cultural barriers throughout the arts.
- Offering employment and professional development opportunities to aspiring artists from outside mainstream European cultures.
- Playing a vital and unique role in the development of culturally diverse music-making through inspiring and engaging audiences and participants alike
In this 25-minute documentary made during the Grand Union Orchestra's performance of I f Paradise at the Spitalfields Festival in 2008, our musicians and singers talk about their involvement in the Company and its music:
Throughout these pages you will see a huge range of shows, projects and educational activities that can be booked to suit almost any occasion or need!