The Grand Union Orchestra has been the acknowledged pioneer and leading exponent of cross-cultural music making in the UK for over 30 years, and continues to blaze a trail unrivalled by any other organisation.
THE GRAND UNION ORCHESTRA AT A GLANCE…
- Large-scale shows with adult and student participation – eg Undream’d Shores
- Performances by the 18-strong Grand Union Orchestra – various programmes
- Performances by 8- to 10-piece groups – Trading Roots
- Concerts and other events for families – The Isle is Full of Noises
- Practical creative workshops for young musicians – Music Untamed
- Hands-on activities for children – Instrument Menagerie
- Singers from many different cultures worldwide with highly individual vocal styles
- Virtuoso players of instruments from all major global musical traditions
- Charismatic jazz soloists and powerful big-band brass and saxes
- International rhythm section and glorious panoply of percussion and drums
- World choir, youth orchestra and student string ensemble
The music of the Grand Union Orchestra - once described as "making cultural diversity an art-form!" - celebrates the musical wealth of a society shaped by migration past and present.
A musical profile at a glance can be found on our Music page.
In this 25-minute documentary made during the Grand Union Orchestra's performance of If Paradise at the Spitalfields Festival in 2008, our musicians and singers talk about their involvement in the Company and its music:
Throughout these pages you will see a huge range of shows, projects and educational activities that can be custom-tailored to almost any occasion or need!