The Grand Union Orchestra has been the acknowledged pioneer and leading exponent of cross-cultural music making in the UK for over 30 years, and continues to blaze a trail unrivalled by any other organisation.
We achieve this by:
- Drawing together musicians and singers whose backgrounds embrace the enormous range of cultures flourishing in Britain today.
- Creating, performing and touring new musical-dramatic work which draws on and expresses the experience of our performers.
- Running a range of cross-cultural participatory and education projects which reflect and complement our artistic practice and ethos.
- Collaborating with a range of other organisations to explore ways of working across social, economic and cultural barriers throughout the arts.
- Offering employment and professional development opportunities to aspiring artists from outside mainstream European cultures.
- Playing a vital and unique role in the development of culturally diverse music-making through inspiring and engaging audiences and participants alike
...and here is an example:
In this 25-minute documentary made during the Grand Union Orchestra's performance of if Paradise at the Spitalfields Festival in 2008, our musicians and singers talk about their involvement in the Company and its music:
Throughout these pages you will see a huge range of shows, projects and educational activities that can be booked to suit almost any occasion or need!